Thursday, April 12, 2007

Day 2


D: A quick video to show the view from our balcony this morning.



Our efforts to find some breakfast this morning lead us to the Snack Shop. If it had wheels it'd be a food truck and travel around Los Angeles preying on hungry computer workers around
lunch time. I gotta say the Mahi Mahi sandwich wasn't too bad. Not my first choice for breakfast, but so be it. L had some Tuna Poke from a fish shop a few doors down.

We topped off breakfast-lunch with a scoop of coffee ice cream from Lappert's, a once local ice cream chain. This is the second time I've have ice cream from them. The first time was in Las Vegas, hince the "once local" status.

On the way back to the car we saw a chicken in a tree. It was an odd sight. He was about 12 feet up in the tree on a huge branch. As I starred at it, it seemed about as confused as I was.
By the time I got the camera out he was gone.

We headed back to the room to relax a bit and figure out our plan of attack for the remainder of the day. What we came up with was to drive out towards the west coast of the island.

On the way we'd stop off for a shaved ice at Jo-Jo's. I can't be too sure, but I believe Jo-Jo's was designed by the same artist that gave the Snack Shack it's unique, minimalist, shanty look. Only this time they seemed to be going for a Crayola theme. Jo-Jo's boasts over 60 flavors of shaved ice. L can give you a better breakdown of all that is "shaved ice". I'll just throw you some pics.


We decided to drive up to the Waimea Canyon part of the island. This involves a steady 25mph drive for 18 miles along a curvy road that reaches and elevation of 4,000 feet. Along the way we made various stops to take in the views. Some of the views were easily achieved, by walking across a parking lot and up a simple inclined sidewalk.


Other views required a bit more effort. Luckily the one that required the most effort was one that L suggested, so I was clear from any blame during the climb.


L was a trooper though and the end results were worth it. On our way to the last view point we saw this huge rainbow appear.



This excursion to Wameia took up the rest of the day. We were driving down from the Canyon as the sun was setting.


On the way home we drive a few extra miles to have dinner at a saimen noodle shop that was listed in our guide books. The place was a total dive, but the noodles really hit the spot. As were sitting at the end of the meal waiting for our check, L and I saw something dart across the floor. She asked me if it was a bird. I said, "Yes, a small one, with no wings and a long tail." No one else saw the little guy and we were too full and too tuckered out to bother making a fuss. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, because this place was a local spot that had been there for years. It wasn't going anywhere. We just paid our bill and made an unspoken agreement that we wouldn't be returning. It's a shame too, because we really liked the food.